Hughes residents will find Garran Dental is very convenient to visit: located at the Garran Shopping Centre it’s just minutes away from the Hughes shops by car and bus. Parking is free and plentiful, both in front of and behind the practice. Some residents of Hughes might even prefer to walk to their appointments- we’re just 2km from the Hughes Shopping Centre.
You can find us at:
Unit 8, First Floor, Garran Medical Centre,
2 Garran Place, Garran ACT 2605
T: 02 6281 3562
F: 02 6282 8657
Monday to Friday: 8.30 – 5.00
Saturday: 9am – 2pm (Commencing 23 April, 2016)
Sunday & Public Holidays: Closed
Getting Here From Hughes
From the Hughes Shopping Centre, we are about five minutes away by car.
Please refer to the Action Bus website for information about routes and timetables for bus travel.
About Hughes ACT, 2605:
The suburb of Hughes is located in Canberra’s Woden Valley, adjacent to Garran and just minutes away from Garran Dental. Other neighbouring suburbs include Deakin, Phillip and Curtin.
Features Of Hughes:
Local Shopping Centre (Hughes Place)
A thriving local shopping village complete with supermarket, post office and many other stores. Parking in front and behind the shopping complex is free.
The shopping centre is enhanced by artworks from local artists including mosaics and sculptures.
Hughes is home to two schools:
- Hughes Primary School – Groom Street. A public school, K-6, opened 1964
- Hughes Preschool
Students in Hughes are in area for Alfred Deakin High School and Canberra College.
The suburb covers an area of 1.81km2
Hughes Is Named For…
The Right Honourable William Morris “Billy” Hughes, who was our seventh Prime Minister. He was in office from 1915 to 1923. There is a commemorative plaque to Hughes in the shopping centre.
Streets Are Named…
…with the theme of World War I armed services personnel and contemporaries of William Hughes. There are 27 streets and 18 cul-de-sacs in the suburb.
Why People Love To Live In Hughes
From The Hughes Neighbourhood Vision:
Hughes in the future will be a safe, peaceful and socially diverse neighbourhood enjoying a liveable and sustainable environment. The neighbourhood’s abundance of open space will not only be conserved but also enhanced, and the Hughes Local Shopping Centre will be a thriving community and commercial heart. Hughes will have a strong sense of community spirit, belonging and participation.
Many residents particularly value the following features of Hughes:
- Its location- it is very central to other parts of Canberra
- Green space and mature trees
- Close to shops: besides Hughes Local Shopping Centre, the Curtin and Deakin Shops are in neighbouring suburbs, and the Woden Town Centre is just a short drive away
- Peace and Privacy
- A visually-appealing built environment
- A range of facilities and services nearby
- Easy to move around
- Well planned, well laid out
- Established gardens
Some of the Favourite Places of Hughes Residents are:
- Urban Open Space (particularly Hawk Hill and the open space corridor linking Hughes Oval to the Federal Gold Course)
- Red Hill Nature Reserve (especially for walking)
- Hughes Local Shopping Centre